Tuesday 14 August 2012

Searching for Sugarman: They Told Me Everyone's Got to Pay Their Dues and I Explained that I had Overpaid Them.


Dir: Malik Bendjelloul

So I thought I should follow up my Batman gripes with something a little more positive. I saw Searching for Sugarman a little while ago and absolutely fell in love with it. It is without doubt my favourite film of the year and I think everyone should see it. Now, I've Googled my little heart out and it is still showing in Cineworld... in Cardiff. I'm aware this makes me a pretty rubbish blogger but seriously get a hold of it on DVD for Christmas.

Now I don't want to give too much away because I went to see it on a whim and the absolute unexpectedness of it is amazing - I felt as though my guts were roaming around my body I was so stirred up. It tells the story of Sixto Rodriguez, a brilliant songwriter in 1970s Detroit whose record sales were spectacularly naff. In the middle-class white, Liberal households of South America however, his songs were an absolute inspiration. It's a lesson that success can't always be measured by the things you have or the number of people camped outside your house.

Now listen to this and tell me it's not brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment